Saturday, December 19, 2009

Good Report Card!

Yesterday I had my first homeschool portfolio review. (In Maryland, if you're not under an umbrella group you have 2 reviews each year to make sure your kids are really learning something.) I was a little nervous, but the lady doing the review said everything looked great and she had no concerns! She was really friendly and even gave me a couple resource lists of ideas to use. I was fairly confident that Ethan's schooling is going well, but it feels good to have someone else say so!

Today we're having a big snowstorm, so of course the entire area has shut down. Our church meets in a school so the county makes the decision on weather cancellations. Yesterday--before there was a single flurry--the county cancelled all weekend activities, which means we can't have church tomorrow, even if the roads are totally clear! Good ol' Maryland. The grocery stores were all packed too, everyone stocking up for the coming apocalypse of snow. It's just funny because when I lived in Illinois we could have 3 feet of snow coming down and we'd still have to go to school. (I do remember school being closed for a "cold day" though--negative 30 windchill.) But despite the terror that seems to hit the masses here, the snow right now is gorgeous! I even went sledding with Ethan this morning...I hadn't done that in years! Ethan could stay out all day and never get tired of it. Right now he and Heath are still out shoveling (which is kind of pointless since it's coming down faster than they can scoop it up).

Tabitha, on the other hand, is terrified of the snow. She was completely bundled in snow gear so she couldn't even feel it, but if I tried to set her down instead of holding her, she'd scream like I was putting her down in hot lava. Jesse enjoyed the snow for a little bit, but he gets cold fast so he usually comes in pretty quick, much to Ethan's dismay.

Mmmm...such a nice day to be snowed in. Right now I'm in my snuggly sweat pants and ready to do some baking and hot-chocolate drinking. And then maybe I'll sit by the fire and read for a few hours while all the children play quietly and peacefully without disturbing me. (Well, I can dream anyway.) =)

1 comment:

  1. I loved snow days! wish i could sit by the fire with you and drink hot chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete