Tabitha's "untethering" (spinal cord surgery) is scheduled for Monday the 29th at 10:20 with Dr. Edward Ahn. She'll spend one night at Hopkins. Heath and I are both going for the surgery, but just one of us will stay overnight.
She had her pre-op appointment a few days ago. Boy was that fun. I thought it'd be a quick in-and-out . . . drive to Baltimore, spend a half hour, drive all the way home. But lo and behold we left our house at 9:15 and returned about 2:30. Most of the time was waiting, but there was a lot to be done there as well. The most "exciting" part was where two nurses and I had to hold her down to get her blood drawn. As soon as the nurse put her gloves on, Tabitha started crying, screaming, and thrashing around. She got herself so worked up that by the time we actually got to the needle I had trouble holding her little 30-pound body still, and had to use my arms and legs to hold her still on my lap. She finally calmed down, until bathtime that night when I took the bandaid off (why they have to use those bandaids that take the skin off with them I'll never know). Anyway, the boys were great and very patient through the long morning. It was just me and the kids so I was very grateful for their cooperation.
So everything's set for Monday, as long as Tabitha doesn't catch a cold or anything. We'll be heading for Hopkins at 7am,so the boys are looking forward to spending the night before at Mommmom and Granddad's. I did recently find out that it's possible (though not likely) for the cord to retether. Please pray that it doesn't and that everything goes smoothly with the surgery, including her recovery. Thanks so much.
Will pray on Monday for a great result! And for little Tabitha's heart to be calm and peaceful leading up to the "knock out!" And for Mommy and Daddy, too. Sometimes I think we parents need the prayer more than the kids do! :)
ReplyDelete