Yesterday was our first day of our second year of (official) school! Ethan began 1st grade, Jesse started his second year of preschool, and Tabitha....well, it's yet to be determined exactly what she's doing this year.
I've been so excited about what we're studying this year. I love the curricula we're using. (Tapestry of Grace, Math-U-See, Apologia's Exploring Creation are our main ones.) And I've been eager to get going! I started early because I plan to take some significant breaks during the year so we don't get burned out.
So, days one and two are completed--successfully for the most part. Ethan's not too excited about school starting; he'd rather be outside building, digging, climbing, riding, or whatever ALL day EVERY day. He does enjoy math and art, but heaven forbid I try to make him read! Keep in mind that reading is my favorite pastime, so I have great difficulty in relating to him here! BUT, he's not giving me too much grief, and I think once we settle into the routine he'll be fine.
Jesse, on the other hand, almost started crying today because I didn't have more school work for him to do! I think the boy is going to force me into doing kindergarten a year early with him because he just can't get enough!
And then there's Tabitha. My plan was, since she's 3, to start very gradually doing some little preschool-ish type work with her. Coloring, gluing, learning colors, singing, etc. Well, so far her lessons have consisted of the following: 1) We do not get to take all the pieces of our brother's educational games and run off with them preventing him from doing his work. 2) We do not take our other brother's math manipulatives and pack them in our suitcase or baby doll stroller. 3) We do not scream and throw our coloring paper on the floor just because it does not match brother's. 4) During reading time, we do not get to sit on top of our brother just because he sat next to Mommy. I could go on, but you get the point. Heath has assured me that we just need to work on speech and behavior with Tabitha for this year and not even attempt to do any "school" work with her yet. The problem is she really WANTS to do school work just like her brothers. But if she's not doing EXACTLY what they're doing she throws a fit. I'm hoping things get better as she gets used to the routine and realizes that I will spend time with her and help her with things, but it may not always be at the minute she demands it!
So, other than sibling issues, I'm enjoying school so far and am excited about all they're (I'm) going to learn. We even had our first field trip already. Last Friday we went to a dairy farm and learned about how everything works there. Did you know dairy cows spend most of their lives pregnant? In order to keep their milk supply they're bred once a year starting at age 2. Gestation is 9 months, they get a few weeks off, and then they're back to milking and breeding. What a life! At the end of the tour, we got to have some delicious ice cream made right there on the farm. And then the kids got to help feed the calves. Tabitha was terrified of course, but the boys thought it was great fun. I had the lovely experience of having a calf suck on my hand in hopes of finding milk. I never knew cows were so slobbery!
I've also got my schedule all put together for how our days are supposed to flow, theoretically. Of course, real life always steps in and messes that up. But at least there's a plan. Looking at the paper makes me wonder how on earth I'll ever have time for things like updating this blog! According to the schedule I'm supposed to be making dinner right now. But I figured keeping record of the milestones of our family's lives is much more important, right?
So, two days down, a whole lot more to go. Off to a good start and looking forward to a great year!
No comments:
Post a Comment