Thursday, March 15, 2012

Updates

I realize I've been slacking on my blogging lately.  I guess nothing too interesting has happened and/or I haven't had time or energy to write!  But, lest my family and friends die from curiosity as to what's been happening in our home, here are some brief updates on various topics.

Taxes--I must beg the pardon of the dear IRS whom I complained about so much in my last post.  They are sending us a very nice refund this year, due in large part to us adopting and having a mortgage.  So, thank you dear IRS folk for giving us back so much of our own money.  Much obliged.

Weather--I don't know about the rest of the country, but Maryland forgot to have winter this year.  We did have snow once . . . in October.  And we had flurries a few times.  But most of the "winter" was in the 50's, with the occasional 70-degree day thrown in for good measure.  And now, March 15th (which is technically still winter), it was 82 degrees.  Yup.  Can't wait to see what this does for this year's stink bug population.

Rayanna--Still our sweet baby, Rayanna is quickly moving out of babyhood and into toddlerdom.  While I'd still say she's an easy child over all, she is leaving behind her "perfect angel" status and warming up for the terrible 2's.  She's learned to have an opinion and to make it known very forcefully.  (In some circles, this might be called a tantrum, but certainly our perfect angel wouldn't do THAT!)  She's also getting very curious.  "Hmmmm.....what happens if I take all the DVD's out of the cabinet and spread them around the room?  Again?  How about for the 5th time today?"  "What happens if I climb up on the back of the couch and stand up?"  "What happens if I weasel my way onto the chair and then up into the middle of the dining room table?  How much more fun would that be if there's a full glass of water waiting for me there?"  "What is this nifty discovery called my screaming voice?  It's so fun!"  "What will Daddy and Mommy do THIS time when I spit this yucky food out of my mouth and refuse to eat anything but french fries?"  So, yeah, she's becoming much more like most children her age.  It's wonderful that she's learning so much, but it sure makes things more challenging!


Tabitha--We got our insurance summary for 2011, with a page for each person.  I didn't even get a page because I had no doctor visits at all.  The men in the family each had a couple things, Rayanna had several visits plus her eye surgery.  And then there's Tabitha!  Tabitha had a 4-page list with a grand total of $266,000. Praise the Lord for good insurance, that's all I have to say!  This year should hopefully be much less dramatic.  She is going to have a p-flap surgery done in June, here at Hopkins.  That's to fix her velopharyngeal dysfunction of course.  What?  You don't know what that means?  Well, it has nothing to do with her other ailments.  This is the little thingy in the back of your throat that's supposed to force the air out of your mouth instead of your nose when you talk.  Hers doesn't work, so this is supposed to fix that, so she won't grow up talking like "The Nanny."  =)  She also has another trip to Cincinnati in June, but just for testing.  And at some point she'll have kidney surgery there, but that's not for awhile yet.

Jesse--Jesse is a happy little guy.  He's doing great in kindergarten, excelling in his Kindermusik class, and ready to start weekly soccer this spring.  Nothing really new for him.  He continues to make us laugh and keep life fun.  :)


Ethan--Ethan is growing up too fast!  His hands and feet are almost as big as mine!  He's leaving his years of shyness behind and becoming very sociable.  He's taking piano lessons from me this year, and doing well with 2nd grade, but he's always eager to get school done so he can go outside and work on his building projects.

Heath--Heath is almost done with another remodeling project.  He used up some wasted space in our house to give us a much bigger mudroom/storage area, and it looks really great!  I can't wait to organize all the junk that was piled up in there and have enough space to find what I need!  I love being married to a builder!  :)


Me--Not much new.  Homeschooling, teaching piano, wife-ing, mom-ing, same 'ol same 'ol.  But every day is  a one-time opportunity, and each day is full of blessings . . .  if I'm awake enough to notice them!  That's a big "if."  I seem to be perpetually tired and can't find enough time to do all that needs (or I want) to get done!  Next weekend, my friend Kelly and I are going to an adoptive mom's retreat.  I'm really looking forward to the refreshment and encouragement, and some really nice grown-up girl time.  :)

Church--Heath and I have gotten permission from our church leaders to start making plans for having an orphans ministry through our church!  We don't know at all what it will entail yet, but we've just felt that God has given us a passion in that area, and we need to do something with it!  So pray for us as we seek God's direction in that.  Pray that He will send the right people to join in the effort and show us what He wants our church to do specifically.  (And if you go to MVCC and would like to be a part of it, please let us know!)


So that sums up life at the Runkles' for now.  Until next time . . .

1 comment:

  1. I went around back this chilly morning and found the kids playing with water guns (Darby, their apparent target). After I wrangled them all back to reality, Tate comes around the corner and explains that the reason he had a shovel was because Darby had tipped over my spring pots I planted last week. Darby-already soaked-just. add. mud. At this point, it's 11am. We've been up for HOURS, taken a big, long walk, been drenched and splattered with mud and had baths. Time for lunch. At any rate, I may just skip out on all the sessions and sleep next weekend, but oh, how glorious it will be to get away from the crazy for three days! !)

    ReplyDelete