Heath and I had the privilege of seeing Les Miserables today. I had read the book several years ago (back in the pre-kids days when I had time to read a book that big). :) I loved the story then, and I loved it again today. It's easy to see why it became a classic. I'm pleasantly surprised that it was made into a movie (a musical nonetheless) and it has been so well loved! Maybe that shows that not everyone in our society is as shallow as I often think!
But here's what I find most amazing: Victor Hugo, who was not a Christian as far as I can tell, wrote this amazing story, that illustrates the gospel and continues to touch hearts 150 years later, not only as a book, but as a play and now a movie. I'm sure he never imagined his work would have such an impact. It's such an example of God's common grace and of how He can share His story of redemption and grace, even through people who don't know they're sharing it.
Now, I'm not saying this is an evangelistic story, or that someone is going to come to know Christ by watching it or reading it. But I think the reason it's so powerful is because its underlying theme is built into all of us. The power of redemption, the limits and imprisonment of Law as opposed to Grace, the beauty of mercy . . . these are things that we are naturally drawn to at a very deep level. And I believe that's because there is a True Story of our own imprisonment and our need for redemption, grace, and mercy.
For a Christian, the themes run even deeper. Are we trying so hard to follow the Law, doing everything "by the Book" (like Javert) that we lack mercy? Actually, if we are, then we may not be Christians at all. Rather than experiencing the mercy of God, we're relying on our own righteousness to please Him. And, as Javert realized when he compared himself to Jean Valjean, our own "righteousness" is despicable, especially when seen in contrast to His mercy. On the other hand, do our lives look like Jean Valjean's? He was a law breaker, just as each of us is. The punishment in this case was way beyond what he deserved, but--based strictly on law--it was true that he was a thief and a convict who broke parole. When the priest gives him undeserved food and lodging, Valjean repays him by stealing from him! But again the priest forgives him, saves him from imprisonment, and even gives him more than what he has stolen. It's the mercy of this priest that touches Valjean's heart and causes him to give his life to God. His hate and anger are replaced by love and mercy, and he spends the rest of his life sharing that mercy with the poor and helpless, the rich and troubled, and even with his worst enemy. Are we so touched by the mercy shown us by our High Priest that our lives are forever changed, and those we come in contact with are also forever changed by that mercy? Do we look down on the wretched, miserable "sinners" in this world, or do we see them as souls loved by God, no less deserving of His mercy than ourselves?
I am challenged once again by this story, as I was when I read it about a decade ago. I am challenged to be more like Jean Valjean. To let the mercy of Christ so overwhelm me that it radiates out of me, that it causes me to risk everything for someone in need. I'm challenged never to "do my duty" (as Valjean said of Javert) without sharing the mercy that has been shown to me. I'm challenged to have mercy on the helpless and undeserving, and even on the Javerts of this world who show no mercy.
Sometimes, God uses stories to touch us in a profound way. Often even more than a sermon, a story grabs hold of our hearts and reminds us of His Ultimate Story and challenges us to live "in character" as we help write our own small part of that Story. Thank you, Jesus, for your mercy. May it profoundly affect every aspect of our lives.
This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. Romans 3:22-24
No comments:
Post a Comment