Our sweet baby isn't a baby anymore! Rayanna lost her first tooth today. She's been so funny, wiggling it and telling everyone about it. She asked Daddy to pull it out yesterday, but it wasn't quite ready. Tonight before bed she asked again, and out it came! Her reaction was not what I expected. She was stunned into silence. No cry, no gasp, no shout of excitement. Just stunned silence. I guess she's glad it's out, but I think maybe the whole thing creeped her out a bit. I know how she feels . . . the thought of parts of a child's body being ripped out of their mouth is rather creepy indeed.
But I guess this means I'm officially not a Mom of Little Kids anymore. I've sensed it for awhile now. Over the past few years, my conversations with other moms have changed--from being about topics like sleeping through the night, diapers, potty training, and the like--into discussions about youth group and video games and school struggles and relationships. It's good that they're growing. Other than the sweet smell of a newborn and the snuggling with little ones, I don't think I'll miss all the exhausting tasks of young motherhood. But I already miss the precious memories of my babies--when they were just my babies . . . no pressures, no responsibilities, no outside influences, no bad attitudes, no fighting with siblings, no agenda beyond meals and naps.
But this wasn't supposed to be a deeply thoughtful post, just a record of our last baby losing her first baby tooth. Congrats, Rayanna.
No comments:
Post a Comment