Thursday, May 28, 2009

Travel Preparations

Tuesday we went to the Travel Health Clinic. Boy, was that fun. All the men in the family got shots; I got off easy, because I'd gotten the vaccine several years ago. The boys got the typhoid vaccine in their legs, so the rest of the day and the next they were hobbling around saying their leg hurt. I guess it's a pretty powerful shot. Heath and I get to take pills instead. Heath got the Hep A/B in the shoulder and it left him quite bruised. I think he's recovering though. We also received some very special mosquito repellant which we were told to use the last few days of our trip when we're in southern China. They have some very special mosquitoes there that carry some disease that, in the doctor's words, "it won't kill you, but you'll probably wish you were dead, for several days." Hmmm....I guess we'll be dilligently using the repellant.

This doctor was very thorough and detailed. After listening to all the potential health risks for 45 minutes, it's quite amazing that I managed to live through 3 other trips to China with nary a problem. And, daredevil that I am, I even brushed my teeth with the tap water! But, since we're bringing our kids, we decided it's better to err on the side of caution. Travelling with children is adventurous enough without anyone getting sick!

Meanwhile, we sent a care package to Tabitha for her birthday this month. It included a disposable camera, so we're hoping to get some more pictures of her soon. No news yet on a travel date. A couple of rumors about adoptions slowing down in China have me a little worried. But our little "ticker" on this blog reminded me it's all in God's hands: "Be strong, and take heart, and wait on the Lord." Please pray with us for patience, for Tabitha's health (emotional and physical), and for us to be able to travel no later than September. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment