Wednesday we took a field trip to the farm of one of the families in our homeschool co-op. It's a small, family-run farm, where they raise beef cattle. We also visited their neighbor's farm to see sheep, chickens, and emus.
The day was great...lots of fun, and we all learned a lot! Tabitha was terrified of the cows (as you can see in the corner of the picture when I dared to set her down on the seat so I could get my camera), but by the time we left she was yelling, "Bye Moo! Bye Moo!" Of course when we went to see the chickens and emus, she wouldn't let me set her down at all. You'd think the things were scorpions the way she clung to me! While she has no logical reason for her phobias, Jesse had good reason to be a little afraid for a moment. He was watching the chickens and walking among them, when all of a sudden an emu began to peck his head! He's just the right height for the giant bird to take an interest in, and I guess the emu was investigating this strange visitor. Jesse just kind of stood there, bent over, being careful not to drop his eggs, and too afraid to move. I didn't get any pictures of it unfortunately, but he did survive and got an emu feather and a funny story out of the deal.
I'd never want to run a farm myself. I don't know how farmers manage to keep up with all that hard work! I'm way too lazy for that job! But I love to visit farms, and this was a great day for all of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment