Saturday, September 11, 2010

Praising God

I spend way too much of my life complaining, and that's something I really want to improve on. Today several things crossed my mind to be thankful for, so here's a short list . . .

1) God allowed us to get high-speed internet, just on time! It was running a little slow tonight, and I thought . . . wow, this is how it used to be ALL THE TIME! The fact that we got it just this summer as Ethan started 1st grade is God allowing me to practice patience for the past decade without making me incapable of homeschooling. You see, every week I spend a good chunk of time on my curriculum's website and on the library's website requesting TONS of books. I don't think that would even be POSSIBLE were we still using dial-up.

2) Speaking of the library . . . whoever invented interlibrary loan and the online request system is worthy of admiration from every literate person in our country! Those of you with young ones can just imagine how "fun" it is to go try to find a list of books, or (even worse) try to decide on books on a certain topic, with preschoolers in tow. Fortunately I can do all my searching online, walk over to the shelf of reserved books, pick up my pile, and check out. God bless you, Inventor of the Online Request System!

3) Photographs. I'm very thankful to live in the time we do. I mean, had I been born a century earlier I couldn't be writing this blog! As an extremely sentimental person, I am so thankful for the easy access we have to photographs. I have hundreds of them, and wouldn't trade them for anything! Today we had a family picture taken. Not on my list of "fun things to do this weekend." Ethan hates posing for pictures, but he cooperated very well (because we promised him reward if he did), and I was very proud of him. Jesse doesn't mind the pictures but can't handle the exertion it requires to stand still and smile for so long. Tabitha, who I thought would be the easy charming one, decided to turn on her hyperactive-someone-new-is-around-so-I'll-act-like-a-maniac-to-make-mom-and-dad-proud self, and alternated between hiding her face, spinning around, and trying to jump down. Meanwhile, Heath and I are trying to keep our smiles from looking too fake, after hours of trying to capture one good shot. It's not easy to get 3 kids and 2 tired parents all looking good at once! We did manage to get a few good shots though. And, perfect or not, pictures are so special, and I'm so thankful for them.

4) As great pictures are, it's the people in them that make them meaningful. I'm very thankful for the family God has given me. I had a rough week and didn't treat them very well. They deserve much better, and I am so thankful for the husband and wonderful children God has given me.

So, instead of complaining, there you have my short list of things to be thankful for today.

Now, go make yours! =)

1 comment:

  1. TOTALLY agree with the interlibrary loan and online request system!

    Where did you have your family photos taken?

    ReplyDelete