Sunday, May 10, 2009

Laughter . . . the best medicine

In the last couple posts, I left out some important details about Jesse, so I thought I'd devote this post entirely to him and the ways he makes us laugh.

Yesterday, while Heath is in the shower, Jesse comes down to me holding up his thumb. He has a trail of toilet paper stuck to it, and tells me he has a boo boo. I ask him what happened, and he says he had "the sharp thing." So I go upstairs where his bathroom is covered in toilet paper from his First Aid attempt. He finally explains that he was in our bedroom, trying to "comb his hair" when this happened. I think he meant "cut his hair", because what I found was Heath's brand new razor with a few chunks of Jesse's hair, and several drops of blood on it. (Heath shaves his head, so I guess Jesse thought he'd give it a try while Daddy was in the shower.) The missing chunk of hair isn't all that noticeable, and it's a good time for a short summer haircut anyway. The missing chunk of thumb is slightly more concerning, but he seems to be fine. I guess it didn't hurt him much because he wasn't even crying--just matter-of-factly sharing information about how "the sharp thing" had hurt him. (At least this didn't happen while the social worker was here for our interview.)

We're thankful not to have been arrested for this next one. When we were in DC last weekend with our friends, walking down the lovely tree-lined walkways on the mall, we paused for awhile to let the kids pick dandelions. They were having a blast blowing the seeds around and gathering bouquets, while we 4 adults were standing and talking. Suddenly I looked at Jesse only to discover that he's at a tree, with his pants around his knees, helping to "water" the tree! Of course, being the responsible mother that I am, I yelled at Heath to go get his son. He ran over to him, but I guess Jesse wasn't quite finished because it took an eternity for Heath to get him dressed again! Meanwhile, it probably looked to any passersby as if Heath had encouraged him to use the tree for that purpose. We're not sure if the large group of retired folks down the walk were close enough to see him or not. But I'm sure they had some thoughts about "kids these days" if they did! I blame this one entirely on Granddad, who often takes the boys way out in the woods at their house and allows them to "water" the trees there but must've never told them this wasn't a good idea when visiting the Nation's Capital! =)

Jesse has definitely been the one to keep us on our toes. Fortunately, he doesn't usually get himself into serious trouble; he just adds a little laughter to our lives.

1 comment:

  1. We granddads need to stick together and take the heat on the DC story...I always wondered why those trees on the Mall seemed so healthy! Some of the Cherry trees were donated by the Japanese government in the very early years of the 20th century, so apparently many generations of young boys have been watering those trees prior to Jesse's most recent act of selfless service. Looking forward to going there with my own grandsons BEFORE they start shaving with real razors!
    Pastor Rob...;>)

    ReplyDelete