Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Birthday to Tabitha! (and me!)







Tomorrow Tabitha turns 3. It's hard to believe she can be that old already! It's a bit of mixed emotions for me because we're celebrating her 3 years of life, and yet we've only been a part of her life for the last 6 months. She's already on her 3rd birthday, and yet we're just getting to know her. I guess there will always be a part of me that grieves the loss of knowing her during her first 2 and 1/2 years, but then I remind myself of her birth parents and the grief they must feel. I know we are truly the blessed ones in this situation.

Yesterday we had her birthday party. (My mixer broke in the process of making the cake frosting. Heath's remedy is pictured above. I'm not sure whether to say "Necessity is the mother of invention" or "You might be a redneck if . . ." Anyway, it all worked out, and the cake was ready in plenty of time.) I'm not sure Tabitha really knew what "birthday party" means, but every time we mentioned it she'd get all excited and say "Yay!!" Ethan and Jesse helped decorate while Tabitha took her nap, and all 3 of the kids were quite wild waiting for the party to start! She did great opening her presents and blowing out her candles, and she really enjoyed all the festivities. We saved the presents from Heath and me to give her tomorrow on her actual birthday, and we'll probably sing again and have leftover cake. She's going to think every day's a party, especially since mine was today too!

Yes, today was both Mother's Day and my birthday. So it was doubly special! Heath and the kids showered me with gifts and kindness all day. I got a new mixer so I no longer have to use the drill, a photo album, a new alarm clock since mine broke, and framed drawings from Ethan. (He's becoming quite the artist!) Heath did pretty much everything all day, and I just relaxed! We also went over to his parents' house to see his mom. And my dear family left the Happy Birthday song on the answering machine, complete with cha-cha-cha's. (Thanks everybody.) =)

Yes, it was a very good day. It's official that I'm old now though. This morning the kids all came into our bed, and Heath said, "Mommy's older than Daddy now!" (which is true for about 33 days). And, very nonchalantly, good ol' Jesse commented, "Mom, you're going to die soon." He didn't seem especially worried about it...just stating the obvious facts since I'm old now. I guess he forgot my age within a couple hours though because the teachers had the kids make mother's day cards at church, and in answer to the question, "How old is Mommy?" his card said "12." So I guess I might last a few more years after all.

3 comments:

  1. ahhhh LOL Jesse's comment is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh and i love Tabitha's pink boots :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to you both!!

    The drill photo cracked me up! That would totally be something that Josh would recommend too. :)

    And I laughed out loud at Jesse's comment! How funny!

    ReplyDelete