Monday, September 6, 2010

A-Hunting He Will Go



Much to my dismay Ethan has taken an interest in his Granddad's favorite pastime--hunting. Now don't get me wrong....I'm not philosophically opposed to hunting, and I don't worry too much about his safety. I'd just rather not think about where my hamburger or the gobs of meat on the pizza I had last night came from! It makes me sad to inflict pain on poor, innocent animals. And sitting out perfectly still for hours, usually in the freezing cold and/or the dark, probably with plenty of mosquitoes, waiting for the right animal to wander by, hoping you hit it, tracking it down and then hauling it out of the woods? No thanks! BUT, Ethan went out all day with Heath's dad last week, and he LOVED it! Not only did he shoot and kill the groundhog in the picture here with a perfect shot, he also shot a deer! A REAL DEER! I've never even hit one with my car, let alone with a bullet from 245 yards away! But he did it. Oh, in case you don't know us personally . . . Ethan is 6. Yes, 6 years old. I thought he'd start hunting when he was maybe 12 or so, but it seems I've been overruled. =)

Despite the maternal feeling that I need to hold him back from such traumatic sports, I really am happy that he enjoys it so much, and that he has a hobby to share with his Granddad and can build a close relationship with him.

Sorry, Bambi and friends.

1 comment:

  1. YIKES!! A deer! I, like you don't have any moral convictions about hunting, but it would probably shock me to my core if someone said in a mere 3 years Cale could take on a deer. Did he kill it?! Wow. That's some talent! Now you just have to get him out there on a regular basis so you can cut down your grocery bill. :)

    ReplyDelete