Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Dermatographism . . .

Anyone know what dermatographism means? The linguistically gifted among you can probably figure out that derma refers to skin, and graphism refers to writing. So, yes, it's literally the ability to write on one's skin (without using ink)!

Jesse's been getting itchy red welts and bumps for the last month or so at random times. The last two weeks it's been almost every day, so we decided to take him to the allergist. I was afraid it would be a food allergy or something really awful. But it's really just hives from ultra-sensitive skin. His body releases unnecessary histamine when the skin is bothered by, well, pretty much anything. At his appointment today, the doctor rubbed the end of his (closed) pen along Jesse's forearm. Within 2 minutes there was a nice welt where the pen had touched, and his arm was all red and itchy. This is the same thing that has been happening randomly on different areas of his body.

The doctor said it's nothing dangerous, but if it's happening a lot and bothering him we can use Zyrtec or Claritin. Most kids outgrow it in a matter of months or years. I'm just very thankful it's not a life-threatening allergy or anything very serious! I'm also very glad that his asthma hasn't returned at all since June. We'll see what happens when pollen season returns, but I'm so thankful all his issues are minor and easily controlled.


3 comments:

  1. what treatment did your son have? my daughter just had a rash like this begin yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, he didn't have to have any treatment for it. It ended up going away on its own. His skin is still sensitive, but not as much as it was then. (That post was from 2 years ago, and he hasn't had this happen in the last year or so at all.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the same condition for about 7 years and it was only last year that I found out what it really was. My younger brother also has dermatographism but neither of our parents have it. Our mother is a little allergic and sensitive to dust when she is cleaning but that's about it. I was wondering if you know anybody who has had it for a long time and what they have done about it?

    ReplyDelete