Thursday, February 10, 2011

Loooong Thursday

We left Josh & Liz's house about 9:30 this morning and returned to Cincinnati.  I was very thankful for Tabitha's later appoitnment time which allowed us all to go together at a reasonable time!  We were also very thankful that the hotel let us check in early.  We got here about 11:30 and unpacked.  Then we dropped off Heath and Tabitha at the hospital.

The boys and I were too tired to do anything exciting.  So we came back and had some lunch; then they watched TV, and I took a little nap.  We found a nearby Walmart so we could go grocery shopping and get Tabitha's prescription that I had forgotten at home in my hasteful packing.  By this time we were expecting Heath's phone call to say they were done, and the phone did indeed ring.  BUT...he called to say that THEY WERE STILL WAITING IN PRE-OP!  This was 3 hours after she was supposed to go in!  So the boys and I came back, unpacked the groceries, had dinner, went swimming, took showers, and THEN Heath finally called to say they were ready.  Good thing we had dropped them off instead of being carless the whole time!

So, here's what was going on at the hospital. . . The O.R. was overbooked, so despite the fact that Tabitha's doctors were both ready to go there was nowhere to do the procedure.  Everyone was very apologetic, and Heath said they were all really nice.  Child Life services brought crafts for Tabitha to work on, and she had a lot of fun with that.  Heath said she did pretty well for having nothing to eat besides jello at 8 this morning and a sip of water at 9:30!  The poor little thing must've been starving!  Heath was none too full himself since he hadn't had lunch and couldn't eat while they were waiting.  (Good thing it wasn't me in there....I am NOT a pleasant person when I'm hungry, and I'd probably have gotten us kicked out!  But my husband is quite the long-sufferer and did very well.)

The exam went great.  Tabitha didn't put up much of a fight, and she actually woke up happy afterwards instead of screaming her head off like she did the last time.  She told me afterwards, "Mommy, I not cry."  She's such a brave little girl, and really trusts her daddy.  I think it made a huge difference that he explained to her ahead of time that he'd stay with her and keep her safe. 

Heath got to talk a little with Dr. Breech, the pediatric gynecologist, afterwards.  She said things look really good as far as her future with those issues.  Everything should be able to be repaired, and she should be able to have normal pregnancies someday.  He didn't get to talk to Dr. Levitt (the colorectal specialist) yet, but we have an appointment with him tomorrow.

So, the kids are all sleeping soundly now.  Mom and my brothers just arrived, and the day has been a success.  Off to bed now!

No comments:

Post a Comment