Well, today we took a "field trip" that I planned a couple months ago. We're studying the Middle Ages right now, soon to be followed by the Renaissance period. I found out that Maryland has a Renaissance Festival . . . how perfect! The 3 younger kids were free, and an acquaintance was able to get us discounted tickets. So today, we drove to a town just outside of Annapolis to this festival. But it wasn't nearly as educational or family-friendly as I'd hoped. It was kind of like a giant outdoor bar with a costume party going on! Many people were dressed in attire of the era. Some costumes were beautiful; others were, well . . . strange to say the least. (Sorry I didn't get any pictures.)
We only went to one show because we were just there for a half a day, and a lot of the descriptions made them sound pretty raunchy. Most of the activities cost extra money so we didn't do them. BUT . . . the kids did get to ride a pony and play on a pirate-ship playground, and we got to see a jousting competition and eat some turkey legs. So, not a totally wasted day. =) The jousting was actually really cool and fairly educational, and the ponies were fun. I'm glad we went, but I don't think it's something we'll be doing as a "field trip" again!
So funny, we've been to a few of those festivals and some of the performances are definitely PG-13! Plus some of the womens' outfits show quite alot of - ahem - bosom!
ReplyDelete