Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Pondering the Last 5 Months

Today, on December 21st, Rayanna is 21 months old.  On Christmas Day we'll have had her for 5 months!  Since I'm sure I won't have time to post then (and since it's just me and a sleeping Rayanna home right now), I thought I'd write down some of the thoughts I've had lately . . .

 . . . I think it's amazing how one little baby can bring so much fun and happiness to a family.

 . . . I think it's quite a blessing that she has no hearing problems and is catching up very well developmentally.  Whether a misdiagnosis or a miracle, we're so happy she's healthy!

 . . . I think my perspective has changed enormously over the past 2 years.  2 years ago I would've thought the clogged-tear-duct surgery Rayanna's having tomorrow was a big deal and quite scary.  Now I hardly even thought about it other than getting babysitters for the other kids!

 . . . I think 4 children is the perfect number for me to have, and I feel like our family is complete now.

 . . . I think it's surprising to find out how much I've missed having a baby and toddler!  We've flown through about 18 months' worth of "stages" in 5 months' time.  It's going so fast!

 . . . I think it's precious how snuggling a sleepy baby can ~pause~ all of life's cares and demands.  Holding her comforts me and fills me with such peace and contentment that I forget about everything else and just want to keep holding her forever.

 . . . I think it's fun and exciting to see how much three big siblings can love their baby sister, each in their own unique way, but all of them so affectionate toward her.

 . . . I think it's phenomenal how a child can be so completely bonded to her parents of only 5 months, and probably have no recollection of her life before she joined our family.

 . . . I think it's astonishing how much we love we can feel for this precious little girl that 5 months ago we had never even met!

 . . . I think it's unbelievable that we've only had her for 5 months!  It seems so long ago that we were in China trying to get her to take a bottle, so long ago when a bottle was the only thing she'd eat, so long ago when she could only crawl, so long ago when we had no idea of the fun personality hidden inside that quiet little girl, so long ago that we were a not-yet-completed family of 5.  It's only been 5 months, but it feels like she's always been in our family, always been a part of us.

 . . . I think adoption is a beautiful and amazing experience.  Of course, giving birth to children is beautiful and amazing too.  No matter how our children come into our families, they certainly are a blessing from the Lord.

Our first day together

Our little barrel of fun

And Baby makes 6!

1 comment: