Saturday, December 3, 2011

Thanksgiving and "Christmas Tree Day"

We had a very enjoyable Thanksgiving and so much to be thankful for!  We had our traditional pumpkin pancakes for breakfast, and then made our "thankfulness pages".  We started doing this when the boys were really little.  We each decorate a piece of paper with pictures, words, poems, or whatever we want, to tell what we're thankful for that year, and then I save them all in a notebook.  It's fun to re-read the old ones, like when Jesse was thankful for scissors and Ethan was thankful for the number 9.  =)  After a relaxing morning at home watching the parade and dog show, we went to Heath's grandmother's house for Thanksgiving dinner.  We ate way too much delicious food, but it was a nice time visiting with the relatives on that side of the family.

Each year, for as long as I can remember, the day after Thanksgiving has been "Christmas Tree Day."  When I was little that was how my family did it, and we've carried on the same tradition with our kids.  This was Rayanna's first Christmas-Tree-Day experience of course.  But it was kind of anti-climactic.  She didn't really even care!  The good news is she hasn't been attacking the tree ornaments like I thought she would.  We had a lot of fun getting all the decorations up, and thankfully there was no Stink-bug Surprise awaiting us this year like there was last year.   =)

I found a cute little advent plan online that we started December 1st.  Each night we read a Bible passage or a book and do a little activity or craft.  Then we open that day's door on our nativity calendar and take out the miniature ornament inside.  And at the end everyone gets a piece of candy.  The kids love the special routine, and I have to admit, I do too!  Today we started making some Christmas treats, and of course I have Christmas music playing most of the day to set the mood.  In those rare moments when it works and everyone's getting along and feeling the holiday cheer, it's delightful!

Now, if we could just get some snow . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment