Saturday, December 8, 2012

Comfort Zone Departing in: 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

An event has rather suddenly presented itself, and our family is about to be out of our comfort zone in a week's time.  We're not even going anywhere!  But to be honest this is more out of my comfort zone than travelling to foreign countries, eating strange food, adopting children, or even public speaking (which I thought was the most out-of-my-comfort-zone-thing I'd ever do).  So . . . here's the story . . .

As some of you know, we spent last spring/summer working with other people in our church to start an orphan ministry.  It was officially launched last month and named Abba's Hands & Heart, and we've been very excited to see 50+ people who are interested in getting involved!

One of the mission opportunities we're planning to promote is orphan hosting.  Through New Horizons, we're hoping to have several families in our church host orphans for a month next summer.  While some of them may end up being adopted, the main purpose is just to show them the love of a family, introduce them to Christ, and let them know that someone cares.  So even if they never get adopted, they can carry that hope back home with them.  And of course, it would also be thrilling if some of them DO get adopted, either by their host families or someone else who meets them while they're here.

This organization coordinates trips from Ukraine, Latvia, and China.  The first trip from China is actually over Chinese New Year 2013.  Since we just started working on this recently, it was too late to get our church involved for the hosting over Christmas or Chinese New Year, so we're planning to be involved this summer.  It also costs $2950 per child, which the host family has to pay in order to have them.  So waiting until summer will allow more people to save up and be able to afford it too.

Meanwhile, I filled out the pre-application for hosting a chaperone.  You don't have to pay anything to do that, and we thought it'd be a good way to get some experience so we can promote it to other people at church.  I didn't think we'd be picked because Maryland wasn't on the list for needed host homes.  However, DC was on the list, and evidently we're close enough!  I got an email a few nights ago saying they still needed homes for 2 of their chaperones, a man from Ukraine and a lady from Latvia for 3 weeks.  I was so excited!  I talked to Heath about it, and he was excited, and we wrote her back and said we'd take the lady from Latvia!  How exciting!  We're going to be indirectly involved in helping these orphans, and we'll be practicing hospitality in a big way, and we'll be learning about Latvia, and  . . . yay!  So exciting!

The next day I realized what I'd really signed up for.  Not that I didn't know it before, but I had neglected to compare our action with my personality.  Me....someone who wouldn't even want to spend 3 weeks living with a good friend, let alone a stranger!  Me....an introvert who--more than money, pleasure, fame, excitement--just craves alone time!  Me...who already feels challenged to find enough time with my husband and kids.  Me...who speaks no Latvian and had to look it up even to find out what language they speak in Latvia.   Me...who cherishes intimate family time, especially on Christmas morning!  What have I done?!?!

Last night going to bed, I was really stressing out about this.  I was thinking....Lord, send me to a foreign country for 3 weeks instead!  Leaving my comfort zone is actually a lot easier than having my comfort zone invaded!  But this morning, as I prayed about it, an amazing thing happened.  That "peace that surpasses all understanding" enveloped me.  Even imagining the worst-case scenario of a really annoying person or a lot of really awkward times, or complete inability to communicate, or no alone time the whole 3 weeks....even imagining all that, it's only a few weeks of my life.  I can handle giving that up, for the benefit of the kids coming.  What if even one of those children gets adopted, or one of those children receives Christ, or even just goes back home feeling like somebody loves them . . . wouldn't I give up three weeks of my personal preferences for that?  Wouldn't I allow my comfort zone to be "invaded" for the benefits that may come?  And suddenly the anxiety was gone.  I'm back to feeling excited!  Yes, it may be as bad as my imagination designed last night, but it also might be a wonderful, enriching experience that I would've been sorry to miss!  And the best part is I feel God's smile.  I know He wants us to be hospitable, and I know that doesn't just mean having my best friends over for dinner.  I feel content, knowing that God will carry me through whatever this experience entails, and that He usually goes above and beyond what I can imagine, and that He always does great and glorious things!

Keep us in your prayers, if you would.  And please pray for this lady, the other chaperones, and the children who will be coming.  And if anyone else is interested in hosting (either this lady for part of the time, or the Ukrainian gentleman for some or all of the time), let me know ASAP!  The only requirements are that you be a Christian, and that the guest has their own bedroom.  Oh, and if you happen to speak Latvian or just like meeting new people, come by our house frequently!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment