So, nap time again, and I'm writing again! That's two days in a row that Heath successfully got Jesse to sleep. I knew I married a hero! =) Tabitha goes to sleep very easily, never fusses about it, just drinks her water and goes right to sleep.
Yesterday after the kids finally woke up from their naps, we went to dinner. We'd had our guide write down a restaurant for us, and the dish that a friend had recommended to us (Da Pan Ji). We ordered it, but either we didn't communicate with our guide well, the restaurant didn't do what she wrote down, or we don't know what spicy really means. We thought we'd asked for the non-spicy version, but man oh man was it hot! The dish is little pieces of chicken (still on the bone, also including the neck and the feet), with potatoes and green peppers on noodles. It tasted very good, but it burned our mouths! The boys wouldn't touch it after the first bite, and well-rested Jesse resorted to crying through the rest of the meal that he wanted something else to eat. He also dropped his ceramic spoon on the floor and broke it, which happened at the only other dinner he was awake for too! Maybe it's better to just keep having him sleep through dinner! Anyway, we did get some plain rice which helped a little, but afterward felt compelled to get ice cream for the poor starved children. :) Tabitha, on the other hand, kept taking more and more noodles, which were the spiciest part. I guess she's used to spicy food--she didn't make a face or anything! Heath liked the food too, and Amy and Mom were OK with it. I liked the chicken and potatoes, but I needed the relief of ice cream as much as the kids.
After that we just came back to the hotel until bedtime. This was the longest night of sleep yet--we made it until almost 6:00 am! But Tabitha woke up at midnight. She scared us because she just yelled out like she was scared or angry--she must've been dreaming. I picked her up, but then she wanted Heath, but then she wanted me again. She said "mama" a few times, but she was obviously not talking about me. I think she wanted her nanny from the orphanage. She did let us comfort her though, and went back to sleep. Jesse woke up coughing in the morning again, and needed the nebulizer, but he's been doing much better the past day or so. I'm so glad I packed that nebulizer last minute! We've used it every night for him. I think the smog and cigarette smoke make everything worse for him. But he does seem almost better.
Today was a free day with nothing official on the schedule. So this morning we went for a walk to the Great Mosque. If I understood our guide right yesterday when she was telling us about it, it's the only Muslim mosque built in Chinese style in the world. It was very beautiful with lots of gardens to walk through. Very peaceful. We didn't see any Muslims at prayer or anything, but it was interesting nonetheless. Walking through the Muslim market was neat too. It reminded me a lot of being in Israel, except the people and everything they were selling was Chinese (if that makes any sense). We managed to avoid being run over by several carts, bicycles, scooters, and cars, but not by much. Mom and I have both been nudged--me by a scooter and her by a car. Crossing the street is quite the thrill here! Come to think of it, even walking on the sidewalk you have to watch out for cars. If they can even come close to fitting in a space, they'll drive there. Stop lights do exist at major intersections, but I think they're considered optional.
I've been struggling with a bit of jealousy today. Like I said yesterday, Tabitha is very cuddly and loving towards all of us, but she especially likes Amy! She always wants to hold her hand, and pulls her along with her, and wants her to carry her. I can't blame her--Amy's quite the lovable person! The boys love Amy too, and when they prefer Mommom or Amy, that's fine with me because I'm assured that they know who Mommy is, and our relationship is secure. But with Tabitha, she doesn't know I'm her mommy yet. I was all prepared for if she liked Heath and not me, but for her to want someone besides the two of us--or even the 4 of us--isn't allowed! I mean we're the ones who have been waiting and planning and working and saving for her for the past few years! I think I understand a bit of God's jealous love for us. I mean, He is the perfect parent who has given up everything to have relationship with us, and how often do we prefer someone or something other than Him? But, anyway, I'm sure once we get home and established as a family and into a routine we'll become more bonded. (Fellow adoptive parents-- any advice? We've been doing all the feeding and comforting for Tabitha, but haven't prevented her from being carried by Amy or Mommom if she prefers. Do you think we need to "force" more bonding activities at this point, or just wait until we get home and life is normal, and then she'll turn to us more. I feel like we shouldn't worry about it too much at this point, but just thought I'd ask you BTDT people.)
Oh, I must say Tabitha is also getting past the compliant, quiet spirit she had when she first met us. She's turning more and more into a regular two-year-old. Walking down the street today, she didn't want the stroller, so we let her walk, but she would keep pulling away from holding hands if we wouldn't go the way she wanted. (She always wanted to go up and down steps whenever she saw them.) She kept trying to run away, would twist and squirm away if we tried to carry her, and so we had to put her in the stroller. This is the first time she actually started whining, and then crying. Heath picked her up and comforted her, and one of the ladies selling food gave her a dried fruit. After that she was fine. As much as I enjoy how "easy" she is, I guess it's healthy that she does have a bit of attitude in her. :) We bought some kind of donut thing at one of the food stands. It tasted . . . interesting. I wanted to try a burrito-looking thing, but I don't know if we'll have time to go back. This area is full of stands of dried fruit, nuts, pastry-ish things. My guess is there's some middle-eastern influence there, since it's Muslim, and that's why the food and shops reminded me of Israel. I don't actually know if that's true--just my guess.
We had lunch at the hotel, and then came back for naps. Afterward we'll go see the drum and bell tower and go back to the dumpling and dimsum restaurant for dinner. Yummy. Oh, and Heath just came back in from a walk. He found a Wal-mart, and he brought me back a Dove chocolate bar. Like I said . . . my hero. :) He also found a DQ, which we need to make sure we utilize before leaving tomorrow. You'd think a trip to China would help me lose weight with the healthier diet they eat here. But I've been eating way too much, especially at breakfast. Is Bacon every day really that bad of a habit? =)
Well, thanks for all the comments on the blog, and the thoughts and prayers. Even though I can't get on the actual blog, the comments are sent to my email address, so it's nice to know so many people are reading it and thinking about us. Hopefully I'll write more tomorrow.
-
Okay, this is only cuz you asked! But I think I would encourage the bonding only between you and her or hubby and her. That's gonna make it hard on your back and arms, but it will also help reinforce that you are permanent, you are her parents. NOT just another set of caregivers. Additionally, I wouldn't let her continue to put herself to sleep. I would start now to develop some sort of routine for night time that you can continue at home. Maybe even consider regressing her a bit in that area to further emphasize your nurture and care. Our Li'l Empress wouldn't allow us to hold her or rock her the first three nights but we pressed in and just kept trying to the point that we would hold her and rock her after her bottle was done till she fell asleep in our arms. We wouldn't even let her hold her own bottle at that point either. It's made it hard from the standpoint that a year later we're now training her to go to bed with our night time routine and fall asleep on her own. But it's huge in that she has learned safety and security in that nurturing path along the way.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about the spicy chicken! It sounds like one of the dishes that The Boss LOVED but both he and JoJo warned me of and I declined. I'm a total wimp with spicy foods. And the smog and smoke was such an issue for us - I'm positive it's part of the reason that Li'l Empress got so sick with her cold that week. That and the frigid AC that was out of control!
Have a great weekend. Sounds like you are on the home stretch!
Erin,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have had a wonderful day! You must have had an adventurous dinner! These are the memories that you will always remember about your trip to China!!
Remember bonding is a process that takes time. Sophia was very physically attached to me from the moment she was placed in my arms, but emotionally she was empty. We didn't realize how distant she was from us until we watched our video from China on her birthday. She loves to see the video from China. Just because she likes to be physically close to someone else does not mean she is emotionally attached to them. I carried her everywhere. She wanted no part of my husband while in China. Erik fed her and played with her, but she kept her distance. When we were at the White Swan, we had Erik take her to the playroom by himself. She cried all the way there, but it gave her the time to play with her Daddy. Use you Mother's instinct! You already know what you should do, so don't doubt it!! Just my two cents worth (not sure if it helped!)
Tricia
Erin, I have been enjoying following your journey. Sounds like you are all having fun, challenges, and lots of lasting memories. As far as the bonding, just let it go. I can say it probably took Molly about a year to "trully" be bonded to Jack and I. She showed us she knew us as caregivers but after the first year showed us unselfish true love. Bonding is such a process. The good news is that she is attaching her self to you. For now, maybe Amy is the person that makes her feel safe. When you get home and back to routine, she will clearly learn that you are her mommy. Then when she is screaming for you to hold her every moment, you will look back on these days as a distant memory.
ReplyDeleteHugs...and thanks for taking the time to share your days! We in the states, LONG for these journal entries! Your love for this country will be amazed in the future. Now, you may not realize how much you will long for time in the coutnry again!
hugs to the gang!
sue hulme
Erin-
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you guys! We had a totally different bonding experience. I also was very jealous since Ellie only wanted Matt in China. Certainly follow your instincts. But, also remember that China is a totally different country - in more ways than one! I wouldn't stress too much while you are traveling. Everything is going to be new again once you get home. Just enjoy being with each other now. I would definitely enforce stricter "rules" about who holds and feeds, etc. once you are home. Maybe have limited vistors. We've been praying for your all. Safe travels and congrats!!
Joyce