Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Time is Flying!

I can't believe how fast time is going by! A week from now we'll be packing up the van and trying (most likely in vain) to get some sleep, the last night in our own bed.

We got our confirmed travel dates about a week ago. Friday we (Ethan, Jesse, Stephanie (mom-in-law), and I) went to the Baltimore zoo with the homeschool group. It was a beautiful day, and we had a great time!

Sunday we enjoyed a Dino concert at a local church. I remember going to his piano concert when I was a kid, so it was fun to see him again now that I'm older and appreciate all the work that goes into playing the piano.

Monday my friend Dana offered to watch the boys for me while I did some trip-prepping. Two of her sons are my piano students, and she has boys about the same age as Ethan and Jesse, and they play together really well. So I got to go shopping BY MYSELF!!! Yes, I guess that doesn't say much about my social life when the highlight of my week is going shopping by myself. But it was such a blessing. I bought out Walmart of all their individually-packaged snacks. I never waste money on that stuff normally...but for travelling I went all out. We've got plenty of comfort food to get us through two long flights and 2 and 1/2 long weeks. We plan to eat plenty of Chinese food of course, but sometimes red-bean ice cream just doesn't cut it as a snack.

I also bought all the precautionary medicines, just in case we should need them. But I realized tonight I still need some chewable tylenol for the kids, because the liquid is a 4 oz bottle, thus we cannot carry it on, thus we cannot take it to ensure no elevated temperatures, thus we risk being quarrantined for swineflu, thus I must return to the store and get the all-important chewable fever reducer.

I also bought all the "gifts" for the various people. In China it's customary to give a small gift to the nannies, orphanage director, etc. So I had to look for things that weren't too expensive, weren't breakable, and weren't made in China. Not an easy task! But I did successfully complete all the shopping, thanks to Dana, and it is quite a relief. (I do still need to go grocery shopping though. We are almost literally out of food. But I digress . . . )

Today the boys went to Mom's while I had a piano teacher's meeting. I'm not even teaching this semester, but it's always good to keep learning. After that I've spent the rest of the day preparing for the trip. 3 phone calls to schedule doctor's appointments, trying to stop our mail and transfer money out of savings but having internet problems, and packing away all that food I bought! I've got two suitcases basically full, and I haven't even started on our clothes yet. That's just gifts, food, toys for the plane, and Tabitha's stuff. Speaking of toys for the plane, I'm very proud of myself for this . . . I've been gathering things over the last several months. I've got them in separate bags, which I'll give to the boys at certain times. So it'll be like opening a present every couple hours, and HOPEFULLY it'll prevent boredom and the whining and fighting that go along with it. We hope so anyway!

We also got an unexpected blessing today. I had requested some clothes for Ethan that someone posted on freecycle last week. I didn't get a response so I figured they were gone. But today the person said they were still available, so I picked up two bags full of clothes for him! And it's great stuff that he can use now, plus some things for next year. God is good, and I love it when He just drops these little blessings on us. Sometimes I overlook all the huge blessings going on around me, and it takes something little to remind me of God's detailed care for us.

So, that's a summary of our last few days. The next few will be even more busy I'm sure. . . Only a week to go!

2 comments:

  1. Erin, this is so exciting! I am living vicariously through you as I wait for Jonah's courtdate. Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting to hear about all your plans! We are praying!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete