Today I took Jesse to a new allergist. (My mom-in-law kept Ethan and Tabitha, which was a HUGE help because three kids in a doctor's office is just not fun! And if it's not Tabitha's appointment it's even worse because she needs constant attention. So thanks, Mom!)
Anyway, a few posts back I wrote about my struggle with figuring out whether or not Jesse has asthma and what to do with all the medications we were supposed to give him. Well, I am SO happy that my friend recommended this doctor! When I left the other doctor I felt very overwhelmed and confused and worried about all the medicines and what would happen if I didn't give them to him. Today I left feeling like I was listened to, and that we'll only be giving Jesse medicine when he really needs it! (So I highly recommend Dr. Siddiqi to anyone who needs an allergist!)
They did the skin prick test on Jesse's back. He was a bit upset by the pricks and wanted to know what was on his back, so I took a picture to show him during the 15 minutes he was waiting. He thought it was funny. (What did we ever do before digital cameras?!) Then we just read a book while waiting for the dots to swell. The worst allergy that showed up was blue grass, along with maple and oak pollens. So during March-June (grass and tree pollen seasons) we're supposed to give him a daily Claritin, and only use Nasonex if he's still having trouble. We only need to use the albuterol if he has an asthma attack, but his asthma problems are so infrequent that he doesn't need a daily controller medication. This is what I instinctually "knew" and what my research seemed to say, which is why I'm so happy this doctor agrees!!
I was worried going in that I'd be made to feel like an idiot again, but that did not happen at all. I felt great relief leaving there, knowing that Jesse's problems are very minor, and getting the expert's approval not to over-medicate him. I'm very thankful too that the Lord has blessed us all with good health, and that even in this problem it's nothing severe. I do have a new appreciation for moms of kids with serious allergies though; that is not something I will underestimate anymore!
Dr.Saddiqi was Brooke's allergist. But we are actually switching to a new one because I want her checked out before she goes away. I loved his manner and personality but wasn't thrilled with his treatment plan for her. (When her lips swell after she eats an apple, celery, carrots, green beans, it makes me nervous but he wasn't the least bit concerned!!) I'm glad you had success and hope that this new plan works well for Jesse!!!
ReplyDelete