Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Back Online! (And slightly shaken!)

Well, we finally have our cell phone and internet service back!  Turns out a tower was hit by lightning during the big storm Thursday.  I really realized how dependent I am on it when I couldn't use it for almost 6 days!  I couldn't contact anyone at all, for anything!  Couldn't pay bills, look up information, or even look at my calendar! I've always been one to value "real" things and want a hard copy of everything.  Only recently did I surrender to an all-online calendar and email storage.  Perhaps I should go back to my old ways!

Today we had (hopefully) our final ostomy problem.  We were at Borders perusing their going-out-of-business sales when Tabitha announced that her bag was leaking.  I figured she meant urine, since the valve occasionally opens by accident.  But, no.  Much to my dismay it was the OTHER bag.  Somehow the velcro closure had decided to open of its own accord, and there was liquidy poop all over the inside of her dress and running down her legs.  Fortunately we made it to the bathroom without an audience and were able to clean her up well enough to finish our errands.  It was my first shopping outing with all 4 kids, and it would've been smooth sailing if not for that.  GROSS.  Hallelujah....we only have a week left!

Anyway, the "slightly shaken" part of the title comes from having my first-ever experience with an earth quake!  Actually, I guess there was supposedly one here last year, but it was much smaller and I was asleep and didn't know anything about it.  This time was quite different!  Heath's mom (Stephanie) was here, and we were in the living room with the kids when the house started shaking!  My first thought was a wind storm, but it was perfectly sunny weather outside.  While it kept shaking, my mind raced through all the possibilities I could think of, but came up with nothing!  It only lasted about 3 seconds, but it was the strangest feeling.  Stephanie figured out what it was; otherwise I don't know if I would've ever thought of that.  I mean, this is Maryland, not California!  It turns out (if you haven't seen the news) that there was a 5.8 quake in Virginia, and it could be felt from New York to South Carolina!  Yikes!

In less dramatic news (but just as exciting to me), I have our school planning pretty much finished.  When we get back from Cincinnati we'll be ready to go!  Ethan starts 2nd grade, Jesse starts kindergarten, Tabitha starts preschool, and Rayanna hopefully continues to be an easy baby.  =)  I've got my schedule all made up.  It'll be great, as long as everyone cooperates and I don't plan on having any free time.  Ai yi yi.  It'll all be worth it in the end, right fellow home schooling moms?  =)

Our Cincinnati trip is just days away.  Besides the obvious excitement of getting rid of the ileostomy, I'm excited to see a couple of friends and my mom too!  It should be a good trip.  I had been worried about taking a trip so soon after getting back from China, but I think it'll be fine.  We've had lots of wonderful meals brought by families from church, Rayanna's been a pretty good baby, and this transition has gone much easier than expected.  I think this first family "vacation" might turn out to actually be fun!  =)


2 comments:

  1. Hi
    my name is Jenna and I came across your site. Your girls are amazing, and beautiful little girls. Your boys are handsome and cute little boys. I hope u enjoy your vacation. I was born with a rare life threatening disease, and love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. as long as everyone cooperates and I don't plan on having any free time! The usual great homeschool motto that I so happily start with every year! We quickly learn that neither of those two things are realistic and we have to run to the savior to show us HIS priorities... Why do I always try to do it myself? Dana

    ReplyDelete