Friday, October 1, 2010

Driving Under the Influence . . . .

Today as I was driving down the highway I saw one of those electronic signs that usually announces traffic backups and other announcements. Today it said:

Don't drive distracted.
No texting while driving. No hand-held devices.
It's the law.

Really? It is?! Yes. I looked it up, and as of today it really is a new law here in Maryland. OK, so I admit I don't stay current with things like this very well, but I certainly don't recall being given the opportunity to vote on this!

Now I'll be the first to say that texting while driving is dangerous and foolish, and I have never, ever done it. (I've never, ever sent a text either....but that's beside the point.) My issue is with the "no hand-held devices" thing. How many people really use two hands to hold the steering wheel? I mean, ever since the invention of power steering it's not really that difficult to control with one hand. If I'm on the phone and need two hands, I'll sacrifice the phone call for safety, but it's rare to really need both hands. But let's say that we really do need two hands to be as safe as possible. What's next? Will it be illegal to eat while driving? How about to change the radio station? Turn up the air condition? Roll down the windows? What if I have an itch? Why don't they just make a device that your car won't start until your hands are locked into "10 and 2" position, and your head is inserted into a contraption that controls eye movement. (Just in case you decide to look at the GPS or the heat controls or something.)

Then we have those who claim it's not the actual act of holding the phone that's dangerous, it's the mental activity going on. Well, if that's true we'd better outlaw talking at all, or maybe just about certain topics that require certain levels of brain activity. Probably shouldn't listen to the radio either...well, maybe music but certainly not talk radio. Books on tape might be OK if they're Dr. Seuss or something, but anything beyond a certain comprehension level needs to be outlawed in case it takes one's mind off of driving. While we're at it, we should really probably outlaw allowing children to ride in cars because they are definitely a distraction. But when I'm driving alone is when I actually have a chance to really think or pray. But that should probably be outlawed too, as a mental distraction.

My point is this: yes, there are activities that are downright dangerous and should be illegal. In my opinion a single case of drunk driving is grounds for losing your license for at least a decade; texting or watching videos makes it impossible to focus visually as well as needed; driving without brake lights is dangerous, and so forth. I'm all for safety on the roads. But where's the limit? What if one person can eat, drink, or talk on the phone without losing concentration, but another person can't concentrate if she's even listening to her favorite song on the radio? How does Big Brother think that he knows each individual well enough to make some arbitrary rule like this?

Why not have more cops out there looking for evidence of poor driving? Is someone driving way over/under the speed limit without a clue to what's going on around their car? If so THAT is a reason to intervene--whether or not the person is using a cell phone. I guess the reason this irritates me so much (besides the fact that government interference always irritates me) is that the car is one of the only times I have to make phone calls! At home there's so much to do and difficult to find time and quiet to make phone calls. Not to mention all the times I need to call someone to let them know a timeframe or how to get somewhere. Yes, I know I survived without a cell phone until I was 25, and my parents and grandparents lived most of their lives without these things. But I guess I've gotten used to the convenience. And, as evidenced by the fact that I still use the same cell phone I got when I was 25, I don't invest money in the latest technologies such as hands-free devices. (Plus I don't want people thinking I'm insane and talking to myself! Enough people think I'm crazy as it is!)

Individuals may decide that talking on the phone while driving does prevent them from driving safely. If that's the case, then by all means, they should NOT do it! I just don't think that's a decision to be made from "on high" and passed down to the rest of us.

Oh well. They never said I couldn't BLOG while driving. (heh heh heh)



JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Erin! Your writing is hysterical - I thoroughly enjoyed this! You go, girl!!

    ReplyDelete