Thursday, July 28, 2011

Another Day

I can't respond to comments on the blog since I don't have access to it here.  (I'm sending these posts by email.)  But I wanted to say thanks to everyone who's commenting!  It's so nice to know people are "with us" on this trip, and your encouragement and prayers are appreciated!  Kelly Hills . . . funny you mentioned the water buffalo song.  Heath was singing it on the drive to/from the orphanage.  Fortunately, not loud enough for anyone but me to hear it.  =)
After we got back from the orphanage yesterday, Rayanna was very crabby.  We discovered that she's getting her molars!  She sucks her thumb a lot, but we noticed her gnawing on it on the side of her mouth, and sure enough . . . there was a tiny tooth poking through!  The other side is swollen too, so I think that's making her miserable.  Not to mention her world being suddenly turned upsidedown.  Tylenol seems to help with the teeth, but only time will help with the other stuff.  She still can't bear to be set down for even an instant.  I hope she's over that by the time Heath goes back to work, or I will have a serious problem!  This isn't the typical whining of a baby who wants to be held, it's a panicked cry.  And even if we just change her position from one arm to the other or from standing to sitting, she cries.  But, like I said, she does sleep well.  So we are VERY thankful that once she falls asleep in our arms we can lay her down for the night and she's fine.  She did wake up once last night, but went back to sleep within 15 minutes of holding her.  She's not wanting to take a nap this afternoon.  She fell asleep while I was holding her this morning, and I think that ruined it for her afternoon nap, even though we were told she takes two naps.  I'm hoping she goes to sleep though or it'll be a long evening! 
She continues to be very serious, but every now and then we'll see a little half-smile or hear a little coo.  It's rare though.  Most of the time she's either silent, or she's crying because we aren't holding her just right.  But those little glimpses of happiness give me hope that she'll be a lot of fun once she's used to her new life! 
We haven't really done anything else since the orphanage trip.  Tonight we might meet up for dinner with two other adoptive families, and then tomorrow we'll fly to Guangzhou.  I'm looking forward to breakfast at The White Swan already!  =)

4 comments:

  1. Erin--do you have an Ergo that you could carry her in? That would make your life so. much. easier!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Molars. Ugh. Poor baby - all that change and transition and molars, too?! Ugh.

    Will continue to pray for great sleeping for you all at night, as the days seem to be so full of her adjusting and checking you out. Her little stoic stares must break your heart. Can't wait to hear what breakthroughs God has for her and for you :)

    Enjoy the downtime now, the daytime routine of home is coming soon enough. And have a bite or two at the White Swan buffet for me. LOVED that place, if only for the great food spread alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin,
    I hope Rayanna is feeling better! Teething is never fun especially when you are so far from home! Piper was the same way when we first met her. We cherished those few smiles we did get while in China. She has really opened up now that she is home with us! I am glad you are hanging in there and not missing your children at home too much. Skype is a so wonderful when you are so far away from your family!!! Have a safe trip to Guangzhou!!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete