We've had a very fun afternoon walking around the little island. It's really nice and peaceful here, compared to the rest of the city. You can actually cross the street without wondering if you'll make it across alive! After Rayanna's nap today, we went out to do a little shopping. I know some people love the shopping experience in foreign countries, but I hate it. Everywhere you go, a salesperson leeches onto you as soon as you come near. Not only do they want to show you every little thing you might possibly want to buy, but they follow you around incessantly! I was trying to make a decision about something, but I couldn't even think because she kept talking to me! When you finally do decide you then have to argue about the price. Of course you get some great deals, but I'd rather just go to Target, shop in peaceful solitude and know exactly how much everything costs. I also hate car shopping for all the same reasons, by the way.
But we did to into two shops that I really enjoyed. One was run by a husband and wife and their little 2-year-old boy. The man played the calabash flute for us and made it look so easy! He also had a CD of him playing, so we bought that. It's really beautiful, soothing music. On the way out, the lady gave us a free fan for Rayanna and gave me my choice of a free bracelet. I chose the one in the picture just because I thought it was pretty, but after I chose it she explained the meaning and I realized it was a fitting choice! The large bead means "happy family" and the four small ones are for 4 children. Perfect!
The other shop I enjoyed was Jordon's. I remembered him from last time. I think it's the only place in the country where you can shop at your leisure and not be pressured to buy anything at all! He does a free calligraphy of each adopted child's name, and he is very friendly and talkative. He told us all about his experience in Nanchang and about growing up in the countryside. When we were ready to go it was pouring down rain and thundering really loud. He unwrapped one of the umbrellas he had for sale and told us we could borrow it! Definitely the best place to shop in my opinion!
The other picture is a T-shirt that I found quite funny. The caption means "Serving the People." But the funniest part was that the lady saw me looking at it and said, "Very popular!" I'm sure she has no idea why it's popular, which makes it even funnier! I thought of several people who I'd love to buy it for, but we only have so much suitcase space, so I decided just to take a picture of it.
After shopping we had dinner at Lucy's, the American-ish restaurant here. We were going to have Chinese, but it was pouring rain and that was the closest thing. We both got hamburgers and french fries, which were really good. And, wonder of wonders, Rayanna let me give her a piece of a french fry! At every meal we try to get her to taste something, but she never will (except for the first morning when Heath got her to try a bit of congee). But this time she actually opened her mouth and ate it! She almost gagged on it though, and refused to take anymore after that. But isn't it nice that her first real food was a french fry?!. She really didn't know how to chew it, so I think we're going to have to go through all the typical baby food stages: rice cereal, Gerber baby stage 1, 2, 3, etc, before we can get to real food. She's had two full bottles without coercing today though, so I think she's really making progress. AND, I was holding her on the bed while we played with some cups, and she actually slid off of me a little at a time until she was sitting on the bed not touching me! I don't think she realized it, but she was on her own! Then a little later she'd been sitting/lying on Heath on the bed and ended up standing there pretty much on her own! As soon as she realizes what she's done she grabs back on for dear life, but she's definitely getting more comfortable. I'm hoping before we leave for home she can sit comfortably on her own without panicking. Otherwise that first ride in a car seat is going to be very traumatic!
Tomorrow we don't have any official business to do. We were supposed to go on a tour to the Folk Art Museum, but since we saw that last time we decided to skip that and go to the church here instead. I'm very excited about visiting a Chinese church, since I've never had the opportunity to do that before! They have a Mandarin/English service, and I'm not sure if it's mostly local people or tourists that go, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.
I hope everyone is doing well back at home! Thanks again for the comments and encouragment and prayer!
Very cool to hear about the island and shopping! Excellent news about Rayanna's health!! We are so happy to hear that!! Loving these updates and all the details!
ReplyDelete