Well, I take back what I said about the weather. This morning it's very humid and getting hotter. It's not as bad as Nanchang for sure, but still yucky. When there's a breeze it feels pretty good though. We're right on the Pearl River, so there is a bit of a breeze, and it's a pretty area. We're on Shamian Island which is a part of Guangzhou that is built in European style, so it doesn't feel much like we're in China here. The US Consulate used to be right on this island, but now it's moved into the city so we'll have to take a bus there when we go on Monday.
I did enjoy our delightful breakfast this morning. And at lunch time today, Rayanna drank her first full bottle! We've had to coerce her to eat every time, and she usually won't drink more than half a bottle. But today she guzzled down the whole thing! She still wants nothing to do with solids, even rice congee, which supposedly she's had. But at least she's getting an appetite.
This morning was her medical evaluation. They've changed the law so that we can do immunizations at home. I'm really glad about that because that part was a nightmare for Tabitha! Even without shots, Rayanna was still quite traumatized by it all. Remember . . . she just can't bear to be set down. First we had to set her in a chair for a picture. I wish I could scan and post the picture--she was NOT happy, to say the least! Then we had to lay her down for a quick exam, then to be weighed, then to be measured. Every time she just screamed and screamed. When we got back we had to change her diaper, so she screamed again. But she did calm down each time as soon as we picked her up, and she's definitely getting more comfortable with us holding her and passing her back and forth. The exam went fine. Her referral had classified her as special needs for "possible hearing or mental abnormality," but this doctor was confused as to why they would've put that (as are we), as everything seems completely normal. We're going to have her hearing thoroughly checked when we get home, but she seems to respond to sounds just fine. As far as mental ability, we thinks she's OK too. She's obviously delayed, but after seeing the orphanage I'm pretty sure her environment is to blame for that; it doesn't seem that she has any real problems at all. Praise the Lord!
Heath's feeling a lot better than yesterday but still not up to par. Last time I spent most of our Guangzhou time sick in bed...hopefully this time isn't HIS turn to do that!
We don't have a lot of requirements while we're here. We had the medical check today, tomorrow a little sight seeing, Monday the consulate appointment, Tuesday we just wait for the visa to be delivered, and then Wednesday we head home. All of those things just take a couple of hours each, so it should be a pretty relaxing week.
We missed the boys on skype this morning, but Tabitha and Granddad were there to talk to us. Tabitha seems to be doing well, though she's been asking for us to come home. I must say, I'm very impressed with how involved and hands-on Granddad has been! He's even been doing a lot of Tabitha's medical stuff! Heath's parents have been keeping the kids pretty busy, so hopefully the time's going fast for everybody. It sounds like the kids are most concerned about what presents we're going to bring them when we get back! =)
That's all for now.
No comments:
Post a Comment